US trade (export - import) with Cuba in 2017
The report on US foreign trade in goods with Cuba in 2017: exports, imports, balance, product types and groups, dynamics.
US Trade with Cuba
In 2017, US trade with Cuba totaled $283.2 million, up 14.54% ($35.9 million) from 2016.
US exports to Cuba in 2017 totaled $283.2 million, up 14.54% ($35.9 million) from 2016.
US imports from Cuba in 2017 were $0.0 million, unchanged from 2016.
US trade surplus with Cuba in 2017 was $283.2 million, a 14.54% increase ($35.9 million) over 2016.
Cuba was the US 135th largest trading partner in 2017 (up from 138th in 2016), accounting for 0.0072% of US total trade (up from 0.0067% in 2016).
Cuba was the US 116th largest export market in 2017 (up from 118th in 2016), accounting for 0.0183% of US total exports (up from 0.0170% in 2016).
There were no US imports from Cuba both in 2017 and in 2016.
US Exports to Cuba
The major share of US exports to Cuba in 2017 (and in 2016) was accounted for the following product types:
- Food products and agricultural raw materials (HS codes 01-24) - 89.79% of US total exports to Cuba (89.26% in 2016);
- Machinery, equipment and vehicles (HS codes 84-90) - 4.58% of US total exports to Cuba (2.80% in 2016);
- Chemical products (HS codes 28-40) - 3.09% of US total exports to Cuba (5.78% in 2016).
The largest gains in US exports to Cuba in 2017 over 2016 were recorded for the following product groups:
- Meat and edible meat offal (HS code 02) - an increase of $54.8 million;
- Oil seeds and oleaginous fruits; miscellaneous grains, seeds and fruits; industrial or medicinal plants; straw and fodder (HS code 12) - an increase of $21.7 million;
- Nuclear reactors, boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances; parts thereof (HS code 84) - an increase of $2.8 million;
- Aircraft, spacecraft, and parts thereof (HS code 88) - an increase of $1.6 million;
- Commodities not specified according to kind (HS code 99) - an increase of $1.3 million;
- Electrical machinery and equipment and parts thereof; sound recorders and reproducers, television image and sound recorders and reproducers, and parts and accessories of such articles (HS code 85) - an increase of $0.9 million.
The largest declines in US exports to Cuba in 2017 over 2016 were recorded for the following product groups:
- Residues and waste from the food industries; prepared animal feed (HS code 23) - a decrease of $25.5 million;
- Animal or vegetable fats and oils and their cleavage products prepared edible fats; animal or vegetable waxes (HS code 15) - a decrease of $12.4 million;
- Cereals (HS code 10) - a decrease of $4.7 million;
- Inorganic chemicals; organic or inorganic compounds of precious metals, of rare-earth metals,of radioactive elements or of isotopes (HS code 28) - a decrease of $3.4 million;
- Miscellaneous chemical products (HS code 38) - a decrease of $1.8 million.
|Name of product group||Value
in total export
|02||Meat and edible meat offal||161,724.9||57.11||106,914.9||51.27|
|04||Dairy produce; birds eggs; natural honey; edible products of animal origin, not elsewhere specified or included||8.1||0.00||0.0||∞|
|07||Edible vegetables and certain roots and tubers||0.0||0.00||10.0||-100.00|
|08||Edible fruit and nuts; peel of citrus fruit or melons||4.4||0.00||0.0||∞|
|12||Oil seeds and oleaginous fruits; miscellaneous grains, seeds and fruits; industrial or medicinal plants; straw and fodder||40,663.0||14.36||18,924.4||114.87|
|15||Animal or vegetable fats and oils and their cleavage products prepared edible fats; animal or vegetable waxes||0.0||0.00||12,389.4||-100.00|
|16||Preparations of meat, of fish or of crustaceans, molluscs or other aquatic invertebrates||10.1||0.00||0.0||∞|
|18||Cocoa and cocoa preparations||3,249.8||1.15||3,190.9||1.85|
|19||Preparations of cereals, flour, starch or milk; bakers’ wares||3,879.9||1.37||4,057.9||-4.39|
|21||Miscellaneous edible preparations||114.3||0.04||294.9||-61.26|
|22||Beverages, spirits and vinegar||486.9||0.17||614.9||-20.83|
|23||Residues and waste from the food industries; prepared animal feed||10,116.7||3.57||35,577.0||-71.56|
|25||Salt; sulfur; earths and stone; plastering materials, lime and cement||0.0||0.00||20.5||-100.00|
|28||Inorganic chemicals; organic or inorganic compounds of precious metals, of rare-earth metals,of radioactive elements or of isotopes||2,391.4||0.84||5,833.0||-59.00|
|32||Tanning or dyeing extracts; dyes, pigments, paints, varnishes, putty and mastics||0.0||0.00||2.6||-100.00|
|33||Essential oils and resinoids; perfumery, cosmetic or toilet preparations||0.0||0.00||335.5||-100.00|
|36||Explosives; pyrotechnic products; matches; pyrophoric alloys; certain combustible preparations||0.0||0.00||2.7||-100.00|
|38||Miscellaneous chemical products||3,797.8||1.34||5,628.0||-32.52|
|39||Plastics and articles thereof||2.7||0.00||89.3||-96.98|
|40||Rubber and articles thereof||0.0||0.00||32.5||-100.00|
|44||Wood and articles of wood; wood charcoal||232.2||0.08||0.0||∞|
|48||Paper and paperboard; articles of paper pulp, of paper or of paperboard||16.5||0.01||2.6||534.19|
|49||Printed books, newspapers, pictures and other products of the printing industry; manuscripts, typescripts and plans||105.1||0.04||209.1||-49.75|
|57||Carpets and other textile floor coverings||0.0||0.00||3.7||-100.00|
|63||Other made up textile articles; sets; worn clothing and worn textile articles; rags||354.0||0.13||52.6||572.75|
|66||Umbrellas, sun umbrellas, walking sticks, seatsticks, whips, riding-crops and parts thereof||4.5||0.00||0.0||∞|
|70||Glass and glassware||0.0||0.00||6.9||-100.00|
|73||Articles of iron or steel||15.8||0.01||14.1||11.78|
|76||Aluminum and articles thereof||93.3||0.03||0.0||∞|
|82||Tools, implements, cutlery, spoons and forks, of base metal; parts thereof of base metal||10.2||0.00||36.6||-72.18|
|83||Miscellaneous articles of base metal||4.3||0.00||4.3||0.42|
|84||Nuclear reactors, boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances; parts thereof||3,981.5||1.41||1,204.1||230.66|
|85||Electrical machinery and equipment and parts thereof; sound recorders and reproducers, television image and sound recorders and reproducers, and parts and accessories of such articles||2,253.3||0.80||1,311.5||71.81|
|87||Vehicles other than railway or tramway rolling stock, and parts and accessories thereof||456.5||0.16||31.2||1,363.44|
|88||Aircraft, spacecraft, and parts thereof||2,979.6||1.05||1,366.0||118.12|
|90||Optical, photographic, cinematographic, measuring, checking, precision, medical or surgical instruments and apparatus; parts and accessories thereof||3,298.2||1.16||3,005.2||9.75|
|94||Furniture; bedding, mattresses, mattress supports, cushions and similar stuffed furnishings; lamps and lighting fittings, not elsewhere specified or included; illuminated sign illuminated nameplates and the like; prefabricated buildings||330.7||0.12||274.9||20.29|
|99||Commodities not specified according to kind||6,034.6||2.13||4,731.5||27.54|
US Imports from Cuba
There were no US imports from Cuba in 2017 as well as in 2016.